Make an appointment at https://calendly.com/uiucphilosophy/phil101
Philosophy Advising: W 2-6
Make an appointment at https://calendly.com/uiucphilosophy/advising
- AOS Metaphysics, Philosophy of Physics
- AOC Philosophy of Language, Logic, Epistemology, Asian Philosophy, Philosophy of Religion
I am mainly interested in the metaphysical nature of material objects and how contemporary physics can constrain it. Currently, I am primarily working on developing non-reflexive trope theory––according to which identity is not applicable to some tropes––to account for the permutation invariance of quantum particles within the trope theoretic framework. I am also working on the issue of which ontological framework is most suitable for Carlo Rovelli's relational quantum mechanics.
My other research interests include: relativity and time, the arrow of time, God and time, modality, counterfactuals, grounding, sets and pluralities, and Mahayana Buddhism.
- Ph.D., Philosophy, The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
■ Thesis title: 'Essays on Properties, Relations, and (Quantum) Objects'
■ Committee: Noël Saenz (chair), Dan Korman, Christopher Weaver, Jonathan Livengood, Paul G. Kwiat (physics department), and Philip Phillips (physics department)
- B.Phil., Philosophy, The University of Oxford, United Kingdom
■ Thesis title: 'Restricted Material Composition'
■ Supervisor: Antony Eagle
- B.A., Philosophy, Yonsei University, South Korea
- As Independent Instructor
■ PHIL 101 Introduction to Philosophy (×4)
- As Teaching Assitant
■ PHIL 102 Logic and Reasoning (×5)
■ PHIL 101 Introduction to Philosophy (×2)
- APA Eastern 'Non-reflexive Trope Theory' (January 2022)
- APA Pacific 'Bundle Theory and Weak Discernibility' (April 2021)
- APA Central 'The Rates of Time's Passage and Special Relativity' (February 2020)
- APA Central, Society of Asian and Comparative Philosophy 'The Problem of Evil in Mahayana Buddhism' (with Jinsub Song) (February 2020)
- Illinois Philosophical Association 'Bundle Theory and Weak Discernibility' (November 2019)
- Central States Philosophical Association 'The Rates of Time's Passage and Special Relativity' (October 2019)
- North Carolina Philosophical Society 'The Rates of time's Passage and Special Relativity' (March 2019)
- APA Central 'The Bundle Theory, the Identity of Indiscernibles, and Symmetric Difference Makers' (February 2019)
- Indiana Philosophical Association 'The Rate of Time's Passage and Special Relativity' (August 2018)
- Illinois Philosophical Association 'A New Paradox in Lewis's Paradise' (November 2015)
- 'Bundle Theory and Weak Discernibility' in Analytic Philosophy (2022)
- 'Is the Principle of Recombination Humean?' in Journal of Philosophical Ideas (2022)